Friday, November 1, 2013

How Much Would You Pay to Save Monarch Butterflies?

Monarch Sparks
by Rachel Hoyt
 

Change is a trepidatious thing
without beauty to remind
that inside all are hidden wings
which fear and ignorance bind

Like caterpillars,
our segments slide
low and slow but onward,
Beautiful fillers
lurk inside
near the soul's scabbard and sword.

Every butterfly which breaks
out of the tough cocoon
reminds us of beauty which wakes
when we brave our own tune.

Copyright © 2013 Rachel Hoyt. All rights reserved.


It wasn't a big surprise to me
that most people would pay to continue to see
monarch butterflies flying, happy -
reminders of how beautiful we can be.


Technorati Tags: , , , , ,
 

6 comments:

  1. inside all are hidden wings
    which fear and ignorance bind

    true. and nice too on the symbolism of the butterfly...bringing us hope...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's my theory on why we would pay so much to save them. We need the visual reminder of hope.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I am in agreement with the 'hope' symbolism. This is but just one of those beautiful manifestations Nature provides to remind us that we still reside in a 'paradise'. we must appreciate it and sustain it for perpetuity.

    Gracias Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias a ti Marcoantonio. I'm glad there are so many people who agree we should ensure this symbol of hope survives. :)

      Delete
  3. Rachel, I love Monarchs! I have milkweed in my yard and they always make me smile, drifting through on their invisible marionette strings--with the green cocoon, spangled with gold--amazing :-) Love your poem too, wonderful words!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a wise woman for having milkweed in your yard. What lovely neighbors you have! :) Thanks for the kind words!! :)

      Delete

Rhyming or not, I would like a lot to hear the thoughts my words brought...