Thursday, August 30, 2012

Thursday Thoughts - Mitt Romney's Taxes

image by digitalart via freedigitalphotos.net
 
 
 
Could you help a gal find a better equation
for lowered middle income tax calculation?
I've got many creative business plans
way better than collecting aluminum cans.
 
Could I get the name of your money man?
Of his abilities, I am a big fan.
I make enough to get taxed quite high.
Perhaps he could help me figure out why.
 
If my boss sent our paychecks through
an offshore fund we invested in with you,
do you think that we could avoid
those deductions that leave us annoyed?
 
(If you promise to have my back
when other citizens say I'm whack
for still expecting Social Security,
then I will consider voting for thee.)
 
I also have side jobs and work as a writer...
Is there a way that income could be taxed a bit lighter?
If I get paid in gold coins, will anyone know?
What do you do with yours so that they don't show?
 
I would really appreciate any help you can give.
I'm just a creative scrapper trying to live.
I write, make candles, work weddings and
have a full time job in this fine, free land.
 
I deserve to keep most of my income, like you.
I won't start my next venture until you tell me what to do.
Perhaps you have a special fund that I could 'work for'?
I await your ideas and more. Sorry if this letter was a bore.
 
May taxation remain crooked until I build my pile!
 
Hopefully yours,
 
Rachel Hoyt
of Rhyme Me a Smile
 
 
© 2012 Rachel Hoyt. All rights reserved.
Technorati Tags: , , , ,
Read more rhymes by Rachel at her new column, Clickety Clack -
poetic news about Santa Barbarians talking back

16 comments:

  1. What this country needs, Rachel, is the Fair Tax. Are you familiar with it? Check it out at www.fairtax.org. :)
    Blessings and thanks for another clever poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the fair tax, but haven't read up on it in QUITE a while. I do recall thinking it was a better idea than what we have going now. :) I'm glad you enjoyed the poem!

      Delete
  2. If I was Mr. Romney, I would release my taxes and say. Yup, I built this. As long as he did not violate any laws with how his claims on the taxes are done (and I'm quite sure he didn't) all he needs to say is "this is what the screwed up tax laws allow."

    I partially agree with Martha on Fair Tax. Would need to see the plan all the way before I would whole-heartedly agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donald, he has released quite a bit of info. The news story I linked to within the rhyme describes how he (and many others, I'm guessing) put money into corporations in certain countries where the income can't be taxed. I'm pretty sure he isn't breaking a law, but just pushing the method to the absolute max and a little embarrased for the whole world to know how good he is at it.

      Delete
  3. You might recall that on Feb. 14, 2012 I said in the comments here:

    "I'm guessing that Mitt Romney will probably get the Republican nomination... it's probably going to be Romney against Obama... Obama will most likely get a second term."

    I stand by my predictions ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do recall your prediction. :) I don't see how Romney could win. I thank the Republicans for nominating him. :)

      Delete
  4. Do I ever love this ;-) Taxed to death. Nicholed and dimed to death! People should protest much, write poems about it like you've done here, raise hell!


    What are your impossible dreams?
    http://debrasblogpureandsimple.blogspot.com/2012/08/house-of-dreams_28.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it Debra! I'm not sure about "everyone" being taxed to death, but I sure don't like hearing that Romney (and Warren Buffet, and many others) pays a smaller percentage of his income in taxes than I do.

      Delete
  5. Interesting take, well written and nice way to write such a piece. You could've taken another tone, but I don't think it would've been nearly as effective compared to the style you chose here. Really nicely done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fred! I think tone is really important when discussing politics. :)

      Delete
  6. Do as I say not do is I do
    Is surely the tax laws for them not you

    ReplyDelete

Rhyming or not, I would like a lot to hear the thoughts my words brought...