Thursday, December 20, 2012

Thursday Thoughts - On Christmas Cheer

I Saw Cheer
by Rachel Hoyt
 
 
 
Decorations sparkling bright
on a brisk, hiemal night -
A bear sitting hillside although
quite soon it would begin to snow -
A rose garden covered with pine
laid out neatly in a line -
Brought the Christmas spirit to
my heart, my mind, and my soul too.
 
Dogs that ski and chase snowballs -
Shopping craft markets, shunning malls -
Snowflakes sticking to each eyelash -
Strolling along, no need to dash -
Drinking Gluhwein (German mulled wine)
in a city quite far from mine -
I felt Santa within my soul
and in the view - snow covered knoll.
 
When I got home I realized that
Santa is where you see him at:
A group of elves gath'ring for lunch,
A bowl of hot rum party punch,
A Gingerbread Latte to go,
Palm Trees that glisten with fake snow,
no myth - and belief that it glows.
 
© 2012 Rachel Hoyt. All rights reserved.
 
 
This rhyme was inspired by my recent vacation
and reindeer news via BoingBong - Christmasy education.
 
Technorati Tags: Creative, Judge, Sentencing, Rhyme, Poetry
Read more rhymes by Rachel at her column, Clickety -
poetic news about Santa Barbarians talking back

10 comments:

  1. thanks for the smiles...the dog chasing snowballs...ha....def got me smiling..a bear in the woods is better than one indoors as well...just saying...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dog chasing snowballs is one of the things I actually saw on vacation. It was SO CUTE!!! It was sort of like when you throw a rock in the lake or river for a dog. He really thought he could find his snowball. :)

      And, I was VERY glad one of the Bern bears stayed out to say hi to me. :)

      Delete
  2. happy holidays...smiles...hope your day was magical...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful poem! Thank you so much for the smiles--this poem was loaded with them :-) Happy Holidays (belated) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found smiles through my words! Happy Holidays (belated) to you!! :)

      Delete

Rhyming or not, I would like a lot to hear the thoughts my words brought...