Thursday, March 28, 2013

Thursday Thoughts - Freedom is Never Free

Smell the Ruses
by Rachel Hoyt
 
image by Stuart Miles via freedigitalphotos.net
 
Yes sir, you are here,
The Land of the Free,
Feel free to do as you please.
We never spank rears,
Or say, "No, Honey."
We accept your soul's inner sleaze.
At each of the stores,
On the town's main drag,
You can buy all that you need:
Rights not to do chores,
To publicly nag,
Or forgo thought when you feed.
It just costs a bit,
To be a glutton,
And we don't take excuses.
Stand up tall, don't spit,
You missed a button -
Now go and smell the ruses.

© 2013 Rachel Hoyt. All rights reserved.
 
 
I never thought that freedom was free,
but I've seen more proof in the news lately:
CVS fining folks who won't share their health stats
and stores who charge browsers because they think they're brats.
 
 
Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

15 comments:

  1. charging browsers....wow...um, they got nothing i want that bad ...haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I try to buy local over searching online, even when it costs me a few extra dollars, but if I have to pay to browse, FORGET IT. :P

      Delete
  2. Sorry Rachel, I didn't read any of your poems or stories today. I just wanted to look around a bit. How much do I owe you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have my accountant tabulate the bill and send it over. LOL

      Delete
  3. Absolutely delightful verse ... and all too true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Madeleine! I wish it weren't SO true.

      Delete
  4. Rachel, you've done it again--great verse and message all in one! Boggles my mind to think of being charged for browsing--but I never thought they'd charge me for food, or my luggage on airplanes either!! ;-) No such thing as free lunch, not even freedom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. I'm not super surprised by the new fees popping up... but maybe still a bit bitter they're breaking everything in separate fees to make it look cheaper when it actually costs more. :P

      Delete
  5. That was interesting and rang true in many aspects..this is a powerful line...

    We accept your soul's inner sleaze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Truedessa. I believe we all have a bit if sleaziness lurking within... though some are really good at controlling it. :)

      Delete
  6. Sara has a point. Never thought they would charge for luggage or a bit of food on an airplane either. Browsing may be the next additional charge, you're right. We can smile at the concept now, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully tomorrow brings a movement to simplify pricing before it resembles the tax code. :)

      Delete
  7. You offer a really good argument for buying locally. But, Rachel, I LOVE MY AMAZON! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Rhyming or not, I would like a lot to hear the thoughts my words brought...